Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Bandhead in me speaking

I recently wrote this in a facebook group


you know. It looks good on a director when there kids make achieve awards for All City, All District, State .. it also looks good on the student. but Why is it that here in N.O we throw that out the window... It seems to be a big deal else where but here, nah..

Honestly I myself have heard of bandsmen having great achievements it didn't Matter to me because it's not something iI was interested in or knew much about. whether it be a Person getting the award or The band getting the award.

Since i Marched at Phillips My theory was.. "My Band is Greater than any Trophy"
Maybe thats a bad thing but its also the same reason why I do discredit FAMU folks who marched in 2000's being rep'ed out on a 30 year old Trophy...s a bad thing but its also the same reason why I do discredit FAMU folks who marched in 2000's being rep'ed out on a 30 year old Trophy...

I still believe that sometimes our bands / members seek an approval from Elsewhere to justify their greatness when bragging .. But i also think having something to show for or brag about still Matters. .

Overall it is a great thing for a band director to know that his work is paying off... Some of our directors did that though just by putting a kid in a uniform and eventually shipping them off to college


and Not singling out anyone I'm just being general because at the same time its GREAT that band directors are doing their jobs .. and its always greater to know that a students are excelling . Yet like I said, in my time it didn't matter to me because of how I viewed band ... to me having a trophy didn't mean much vs being great on an instrument or in a great band..

I guess thats what makes me a 100% Bandhead LOL! cause in a sense my philosophy was "wrong" myself yet i still stick to it depending on the conversation LOL...


The Bandhead In Me Made me do it.

No comments: