Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saw My Own Work at McKenna Museum

Last night I was at this Alumni Event There, it wasn’t the greatest event due to so much going on but it was still nice. It was my first time in the building, I was looking at the artwork all of it was nice. I was telling my sister about  how they host exhibits and that the place is a great place for casual gatherings rather than house-like parties.

While walking out, (after the Liquor man left) I noticed This area dedicated to Brandon Franklin, A Young Musician and band director here in N.O.

I noticed a photo I had taken was in the bunch.
Here’s the Area.
image
The photo I had taken is of Brandon  holding the sax in the white shirt.  I was surprised to see my photo on this memorial because I had no clue  about this one.

Last night I told Lisa P about it. telling her that I don’t know if it’s weird to say, but I appreciate that my work is being put to use… this may sound selfish, but I’d appreciate it more if I was credited.

Hey It looks great there. I wonder who was responsible for this.  I’m thinking that these all came from the Facebook Memorial page where I tagged that particular to photo after his death.

I’ve said it once before but I think it’s wild how my photos are put to use when folks die. After Brandon died, That same photo was featured in a number of publications with my permission. if you type his name in Google, that photo will be the first one of him that appears.  I think it’s amazing.  it also makes me want to start charging folk! lol… but I’m good….

5 comments:

Ashley Anderson said...

She should pay you. You know how I feel about that kind of stuff. That kinda sucks. Sue her!

Book said...

i don't know who did it, I just saw it there i should've payed more attention to the name tag near the area.

Jen Williams said...

Greetings,
This is Jen from the McKenna Museum. I was going through some sites mentioning the museum and came across this post of the memorial to Brandon Franklin. We hosted an art exhibition with the Talented in Visual Arts students of O.P.Walker school shortly after he was brutally killed. Many of the students and faculty were appreciative of the memorial in the space. Many were brought to tears. His passing personally touched me because my brother is also a young man doing positive things and is a Band Director. I put it up because I was interested in doing my part to make sure another young man was not forgotten. I did get the image from the memorial page facebook and never in a million years thought that utilizing it for this purpose would warrant these kind of comments. We are not Selling your image, we are not making money off your image, and we are not getting publicity off of your image. I think that its absolutely mind boggling that you would want to get paid for an image that is in a memorial to honor a young man who was killed. Being that it was on FB anyone in the world can download it and I did not see a photo credit mention. So if you would like to get "photo credit" or have any questions feel free to contact me at 504.586.7432. I'll be more than happy to give you the photo credit since that's your only focus. I always stand behind what I do, especially when it's done for a positive purpose!

Book said...

hey! i'll give you a call!.

I'm not asking to be paid. i just thought it was amazing to it there.

i totally understand what you're doing. I love it myself.

Book said...

Now after talking to you regarding the photo, i see what you mean now. i could understand why I really shouldn't need to be credited.

and hey, as you said and I already knew from the jump. it's on facebook and can be used freely by anyone.

I have no problem with it at all. I love it.


also when I said "charging folks" i meant it in general regarding other photos i have. I don't make a profit for anything I have. I have little desire to. I just thought it was amazing to see something of mine in a museum.

Thanks for your time I appreciated it.