Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Bid'em In





This Video has been around for a while but its been the subject of argument for many blogs and forums as of late, Why? because now its being played on BET between a few show airings. I believe that people have gotten the wrong message out of it though. BET playes the whole video, The Video Above is a short clip I found here (read this blog).

No lie, When i saw it online a while back, I thought it was cool but i didn't really pay it any mind, nor did take the time to REALLY listen and watch. After Watching it on BET I'd have to say that it made me feel sort of uneasy. but it still makes me smile because It's something that will make people talk and express how they feel . It's poetry based upon what was once real nothing harsh about that.

After searching the for a good flash video of it I found that its so much controversy about this now, but it shouldn't be. the video and poem is OLD, its just that BET is showing it NOW to a TV audience. I actually like it. its ART WORK.

I guess it's the same reason black people got angry when ROOTS came out as well.. They just didn't get the message.

5 comments:

Chari said...

I mean this is the truth. So what is so controversial about it? Life was once like that...no we don't like that is was, but it was. May very well still be in certain aspects...

Book said...

people are mad at BET because they feel its also a negative image. I don't see it as that.

Chari said...

It is a negative image. However, the fact remains that this did happen. So deal with it! Lol, but seriously.

Anonymous said...

Oscar Brown Jr. wrote this "song", "Bid 'Em In" in 1960 and recorded it on one of his first albums (on Columbia Records) "Sin & Soul." He performed it probably at every show he ever did until he passed in 2005. In under 2 minutes, the genius of Mr. Brown created the entire pathos of what it was like to be a slave and sold as someone's property. It is a condition that existed. It is part of a people's history. And as you've all said, this is what happened. It's a fact. What is the controversy about?

Book said...

Thanks! ror the reply