Monday, August 13, 2007

Sad News, Mario was pronounced brain dead..


I just got off the phone with my Vista Sisters, we were sharing memories and shedding tears as well. It's so sad, it's hard for me to type. I'm in disbelief but its True. They said that he'd be in a Vegetable state if he manages to stay alive.

Mario was in between jobs doing his second term as an AmeriCorps Vista, I was told by Rachel that He was supposed to be at an interview and in the mist of it he passed out, She's is Pissed off. she really wants to know what went wrong. so do i.
Why didn't anyone do anything at the tome he collapsed. they say that the ambulance didn't get their early enough to bring him back quickly.

It's a sad day for Us Vistas who worked Among him. I would love to go to Houston and pay my Respects to Mario and his family for bringing a great man into this world. Rest My Brother Rest In Peace!

Here is his Technology for All Profile


AmeriCorps*VISTA
Community Technology 2.0 Project

Mario Boykin is a country boy from Leggett, Texas. He has lived in several different states and countries and has found there is no place quite like home. He brings his 20 plus years of experience in business, sales and educational development to Houston’s seven most underserved neighborhoods. His interests include working with his church First Community Missionary Baptist Church and his alma maters, Leggett I.S.D. and University of Texas at Austin, to improve his community and nation. Mario’s aspirations for the future are to continue to “pay it forward” and try to make a difference so this world is a place worth living in for everyone.


Right now I'm going through some old Footage I had taking with my digital cam. Im taking a few stills out because i don't have many pictures of him. I'm Saddened by this. and really don't know what else to say other than this .

Mario is very intelligent man. before becoming a Vista we both attended Tech and City Meeting together not knowing that we'd become Fellow Vista at the same time. While at The AmeriCorps Vista Orientation of July 2006, I had officially met him at in the Food Court area of the Hotel, we talked for Hours about the Katrina Relief Efforts and what was in store for us while at Tech for All..

We had a Great Time Working together as well. Riding to and from work, which we didnt work in the same area at times. but because i had no transportation and I lived on his side of the city, he'd come get me every morning storm or sunshine he was there and didn't ask me for a dime. A very generous man , sort of like an older me..... It's more to it than this, but my mind has gone blank at this point.

I send my condolences to the Boykin family and friends.

We have lost a great man... and I'm shaken!


Note From The Book

11 comments:

Chari said...

His family is most definately in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for information on Mario's condition. We knew him in Lawrence, KS and just saw him for the first time in 10 years or so about 2 weeks ago when he was in KC. I'm devastated by the news. The hospital called us because they found my business card on him. We have been talking to his mom, but she hadn't gotten back to us in a few days and we feared the worst. I'm so saddened and this is a tremendous lost. He had a great spirit and dedication to service. We will miss him. Greg and Jayne

Book said...

Thanks for your reply

Anonymous said...

It saddens me to announce that Mario did pass away on Wednesday August 15th. The funeral will be on Saturday in Leggett at 2:30pm. Mario's passing is a huge loss for his family and friends. Espesially my 8 year old son who was Mario's godson who misses him tremendously. We will all miss you Mario. You were more than a friend - you were like a brother to me and I wish you were still here.
Steve

Anonymous said...

Mario was crook, stealing more than money from his friends in Austin in the 90s. While it sounds like he tried to make up for it later, his victims will never know why Mario betrayed their friendships. He could talk and laugh and make you feel a connection with him, then turn around and do something unexpected. I think the world is a safer place without him.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Mario tried to make peace within himself since the 90s. That is good. His victims who are still recovering to this day. Will always remeber him as a theif, and a con-artist. While he stole money, he also violated trusts and frienships. Only wish he had tried to make peace with his victims, as much as he tried to make a new life in his hideout in Leggett.

Lori said...

I knew Mario in Kansas, though both of us are from Texas. We shared many good times that I look back upon fondly. We had unfortunately lost touch after Mario moved back to TX many years ago. I moved back to TX about 1 year ago and today I decided that I would try to get in touch with my old friend Mario. I am in shock and disbelief with the news that I have found. Mario was a generous, kind person. He always knew how to make me smile. I'm so glad to hear that he was using his talents to help others at Americorp.
What a lesson I have learned today...don't put off tomorrow what you can do today. I'm so sorry that I didn't attempt to reconnect with Mario sooner. I will miss him.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Like Lori, I too knew him from the past. We went to school together and dated for over four years at one point we were engaged but it just did not work out for us, like that.
He stayed in touch with my brother but he had not heard from him since last Summer so I told my brother I would try to reach Mario and this is what I find, that he is dead.....really dead! I am in shock, I can not believe it!!!!
He would have just had his B-day a few weeks ago......damn I am mad about this.
I know that when I knew him he was a good guy, smart, funny with great potintal.....his entire life in front of him and although it did not work out long term for us we were both still happy for each other!!
I just wish I could have said "good bye":)
I have some early pictures of Mario from HS and UT if I get time I will post them for all his friends, it is the least I can do.
Terri

Anonymous said...

Mario has been gone for over a year. We all miss him but the world is better off without him. I hope his long stay in purgatory has him coming to grips with what he did to a lot of people and how it negatively affected their lives.

Anonymous said...

August 15 th 2008 a year ago i laid my baby brother to rest. He i gone but not forgotten by his family and friends. I still miss him alot. He helped me raise sons Gordy and Jordan and for that and many other things i am grateful to have had him as my brother. My Mother and I appreciate all of the prayers and comfort provided by all who knew Mario. Regarding the lunatic who continues to post the ugly messages, i will pray that you find peace and something else to do with your time.
Much love to everyone
Felicia

Anonymous said...

Mario had been a friend of mine at UT in the late 80's. Right now, I'm spending a sleepless night and was just looking for people I used to know and I am shocked.

Although his death was almost two years ago now, I still had to post something. The world is a sadder place knowing that my old friend is no longer out there.

Rest in peace, Mario.