Tuesday, December 26, 2017

People Seem to live in Fear.

I've noticed the fear while walking around my neighborhood. I'm a threat to nobody so, I know it ain't me. It may be that I'm just a black male walking alone in a quiet area that people fear. I take walks at random times of the day. The Pokemon Go Mobile game has given me a reason to walk around at night. Because of this, I walk more often than I've done in a while. From that, I've noticed the fear.


I'm the kind of person that greets people as they pass me by. I do it more so if I'm close enough to the person for them to hear me without shouting. As I walk by homes, If folks are outside of their homes, I will Greet them according to the time of the day or season. These days, It's not easy to do that.

A few weeks ago, after exiting the Bus, I saw a neighbor of mine exiting her home to walk her dog. Before I could make it across the road, She turned back around only to be back into her home by the time I made it to that side.

Two days before Christmas, I was taking a walk.  On my route, I saw a lady exiting her car. When she saw me, she rushed to her door. I heard someone inside talking as the woman seemed to be in a panic. "Whats Working?" I shook my head.

Twice on Christmas day, I was on my way home, I was bound to cross paths with the person coming my way.  We were about two yards apart when he took a detour. The abandoned home had a crescent-shaped lot. I continued to walk forward while greeting him. "Merry Christmas." The smiled but waited until our paths totally crossed to ask If I had known if any nearby restaurants were open. He was black.

Just one block up, was where I live. I saw my next door Neighbor exiting his car. I stopped to greet and talk briefly with him. He's an 80-year-old white male. A very nice guy. I also exchanged greetings with another man passing by. He was White.

Later Last night, I took a walk to the corner because a pokestop is there. Both neighbors are taking out their trash. Bu the time I'd made it within reasonable distance to greet them, only One of them was still outside pulling trash. I said "Merry Christmas." and got no verbal response. He stalled in place as I passed him by but he proceeded to bring the trash to the curb afterward. The Pokestop is basically at the end of the block, so I turned back around only to see him rushing back inside.


Tonight I as I walked on the back street. I heard a neighbors dog Bark When I looked to see where the noise was coming from, I saw the dog's owner rushing inside. Totally avoiding human contact. To me, That's what's wrong with the world. Folks would rather avoid you than say Hello. I know it's because they fear the criminal element but Wow! It's not that serious. It's the main reason our neighborhoods aren't real communities.We don't want to know each other. 

- Book

No comments: