Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Day I Realized I was Apart of One of New Orleans Public Schools Greatest Organization

When I was in Kennedy's band. I went trough most of my first year fine, but I never realized that i was apart of one of NOPS's greatest organization Until Parade Season 00 (Still an Underclassman)

We were marching up St. Charles Avenue Bacchus Night & I was on my horn playing song after song after song... But Then, Big Joe (My Section Leader) Asked me for the horn so that he can play (We Were Alternating) ...yeah I was on the Back End that day ..lol (12 Tubas, 24 bones a 12 man front ...lol) .. Anyway, I gave Joe the horn as stood aside walking behind the band In full uniform. Then after that the whistle sounded off and The band started to pay the Song "Stay" & "Believe In Me", Eventually I got the Chills... .. Then In my head I said to my self "Man, I March For The K, This is Wild" ..lol ....Although I Didn't Get to play on the horn untill we reached Canal Street, I was Smiling the whole time because I felt like I was apart of the Best band in the world at that moment.

For me, the songs Stay & Believe in Me were Classics. Because I remember the band of 95 & 96 when my sisters were marching. The band played those somgs and the sound was Beautiful.... Just imagine, I was in the band & I Felt it, The Classic JFK sound (to me) was THERE in my Face & I Was Apart of it all ..lol.. it was like this .. I marched but it never Dawned on me until that day that The K was a the greatest. :D

When I was younger, All I knew of Kennedy was the fact that My sisters, cousins & Bro-in-laws marched for them.. I used to go to City Park to the watch the girls practice... .. them & the dudes used to come to my house with that Classic K logo in their chests
other than that I had no musical ear to know that they were just that great.

at that time I didnt even know who st aug was.. I was in 6th grade in elemetary school & the only other band i knew of was John McDonogh. but in the presence of The K's Band Members Changed my Direction in Band ... other than that.. I didnt know anything of the K, but a few members & some band tapes.

To Me, Walter Harris was just the Man who came to get instruments from phillps middle school.. I didnt know he was kennedy's BD untill I Experienced The Wrath of Doc (just kidding)... Actually he came around Often in 99 & 00.. .. Dude was retired but his presence was felt in that bandroom.

Speakin' of Doc. There are som Old School alumni who still get that same feeling when speaking to Doc they have to straighten up their act .. (like puttin their shirts in their pants or taking ear rings out or what ever.. That was Fear man. lol

Man.. The K is the Truth & some folk dont realize that. This is part of the reason I did my website.

anyway ..lol I got way off. but hey .. thats just how it is when you love the K

No comments: