Thursday, September 24, 2009

Unknown Malware?

 

What is VirTool:Win32/Killwifip.A Exactly?

Over Night, I did a Virus Scan with the Online Version of Microsoft’s OneCare Live on my Room PC. .. yeah It took overnight, My Room PC is the oldest in the house and hasn’t been the same since my brother made it fall.. (when it was in his room).

Well Yeah.. So I Scanned It and all that was found was VirTool:Win32/Killwifip.A.

image

it was removed when Found, I’m Guessing it came in a Theme Package i downloaded,.. all that means is that I have to Scan my External Hard drive as well. Now I’m on my way to Completing the Process to finish off everything else that was scanned.

But I still want to know What VirTool:Win32/Killwifip.A is Exactly? Why? Because There is Nothing about it online. I saw one page with No Description.. Sux!

I’ll Just take an Educated guess and say that The only reason it’s a severe threat is because it has no known causes.  

with that said, The only thing i could guess is that It could be a memory eater, because that’s my main problem with the Room PC.

Note From the Book

2 comments:

Unknown said...

1.5 years later and your question is still not answered. The only clue given by Microsoft Security Essentials (I have it installed) is, that after the path of the "guilty" exe file, it has (UPX) in brackets. I've read somewhere that UPX is a compiler (I think that's the correct word) - it's the means used to create the exe file. Now because this particular compiler/method has also been used by people making virus's, the anti-virus programmes just blanket ban all programmes created this way. Lazy beggars they are - then they make it almost impossible to report a false positive....
See here for more info about UPX:
http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=21327.0

Book said...

Thanks for that info!. it's likely nail on the head. I never did a follow up entry to that blog so i don't remember the outcome other than the removal being successful.

During the time I wrote this entry MSE was probably under development I was using the Online version of OneCare scanner.. MSE's basically the Predecessor to OneCare.