Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I just had to write this on nola ..

Okay folks, There's a marching bands forum on Nola.com. where many of us discuss the ups and downs of marching bands in the city.

but lately people have been ranting and complaining about how bad the bands are Yet they're not doing their part as former bandsmen to make the situations better.. Here's what i wrote at Nola to everyone

How I Feel

This was the 4th Parade season to pass Since Katrina. majority of The bands currently marching have only been around for 2 or 3 years. Majority of the Students were not in bands Before 2006.

You Can not compare These bands to their Pre Katrina Status. They just don't add up. You can not Expect these bands to sound GREAT when half of them have never marched in Band prior to High school.

I hear people saying "Reed & Carver Fell Off" all year.. NO PEOPLE.. Your minds are on Pre Katrina Expectancies..
Its not a falling off, its a Respawning/Renewal.


You cant Expect Directors to be the Saviors of Bands. The Guy at Reed is Not Miguel Bonds. You can not Expect a Miguel bonds band out of him. i know yall understand what im saying

.. I was Pleased with the fact that These bands EXIST .. because Just like Fortier aint ever coming back.. The rest of these schools could be in the same situation.

Think about this too. Look at your Middle School programs who've come back this yeaer.. They're Teaching & Preparing These kids for Karr, Carver, Reed, Easton and others..

My Point.. Its a NEW BEGINING... STOP THINKING OLD!!!!!

If Charles Brooks is at Easton.. Why is it that people stil ask "when is marshall coming back" ...

Thats like asking WHEN IS BELL COMING BACK! .. IT JUST AINT GONNA HAPPEN..

Honestly.. The people out of state have the Wrong impression of N.O bands because they Hear about Past Reputations and they Assume The bands are still the same..

Unfortunately they're not.. BUT ITS NOT THE DIRECTORS FAULTS .. EVERYBODY LOST OUT IN KATRINA..

Look at Kennedy.. If the school ever opens up. of course I'll be in support of my Alma Mater. But I wont expect the band to be Good Until Their is a Steady Band director And a student body of Experienced Musicians. As for High Hopes at the First day of band camp.. No I wont expect the band to be good in 1 year .. and thats how yall are treating the current bands.. as if they have the same kinds of bandsmen but its not.

Honestly. This is why much of My Focus is on the middle school programs Because those guys Will be Experienced enough Musicians to make N.O bands Better in the 2010's

We do all the ranting and complaining about these bands.. But Why is it we cant just be happy to know the these bands are a work in progress.. Cause like i said.. like Kennedy & Fortier they can be a distant memory..

The Game as Changed and only you can encourage the members to get better..

As for me.. I honestly feel that I'm doing my part as a New Orleans Band Alum.. How about you?



Yall Feel Me? lol

well I guess I'll put it this way ..

Note From The Book

No comments: