Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Traditions of New Orleans



On my way here, there was a guy on our bus with a Zulu Social Aid & Pleasue Club Shirt On. It reminded me of all the traditional things we charish in N.O.

Street Musicians and Performers
Locally Famed Musicians, Singers , Rap Artists
Secondlines(Jazz & Brazz bands)
The Social Clubs & Organizations
High School Marching Bands & Units
THE BRIDGE!!
Battle of the Bands
The Bayou Classic
Mardi Gras
The Mardigras Indians
THE FAMOUS RESTAURANTS AND FOOD!
The Whole thing with Projects, Wards, Sets & Streets.
Block Parties
Our Slang
Tulane, UNO, Loyola, SUNO, Dillard, Xavier, Delgado, .. ALL GONE
Charity Hospital
The Superdome


Tad Gormely Stadium - Alerion Field New Orleans Own Olympic Track
Dooky Chase Resturant, Across from the Lafette
St. Charles Avenue.
Napolean Avenue.
Blaine Kern studios - where the floats come from (Where My HS Band Did Conventions Daily)
The Grave Sites
Bayou St. John
Jazz Fest
Flambeaux
New Orleans All Star Band
The New Orleans Saints
The Superdome.
The Crawfish
the night life


Its a whole lot more to it but thats all I can think of at this time :)

Man... everyones big question.. WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO FOR MARDI GRAS?

We know that they celebrate it in other cities like Mobil alabama and Galveston. Texas but they can't do it like N.O does it.

I guess all the Band Pictures I Took were Worth it







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey good work on your blog man!

I live in Houston and we were wondering if we would start having Mardi Gras here! I know it wouldn't be the same as NO.

Welcome to my city. Anyone of you who stay will make a wonderful addition to our community.

Today was my second day to volunteer at the dome. My highlight was helping the Salvation Army lady set up space for church services tonight.

Again, keep up the good work.

Best,

Tina
Houston

Anonymous said...

I think New Orleans might could still have Mardi Gras in February if we get it cleaned up in time, Im fixin to go down there (permanently) to help out with cleanup and roofin and what not, but I aint never been to Mardi Gras and I was plannin on it this year, so hopefully come feb. it'll still be goin on. Good luck to all yall katrina survivors, hope yall get back on yalls feet soon so ya can get on with your lives!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you got to give it up. Moving Mardi Gras to Texas was the best think I heard all week..

Anonymous said...

I agree. The deep rooted traditions and spirit of Mardi Gras would be lost in any place other than NO. I shouldn't even be considered. It's a piece of the soul of the city that can never be replicated.